RESEARCH & GENEALOGY
Our curator and able volunteers are eager to assist you in your Exeter research. Our library is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 – 4:30pm and on Saturdays from 9:30am to noon.
Research Library & Archives
The Historical Society has an extensive library and archives documenting Exeter’s past, including:
- Transcript of the First Records of the Town of Exeter, 1638 - 1730
- Maps of Exeter, earliest reliable map is dated 1802
- Vital Records and Town Reports of Town of Exeter, 1880s - present
- Directories for the Town of Exeter, 1872 - 1970
- Exeter News-Letter, bound volumes, most years 1831 - present
- History of Exeter, New Hampshire, by Charles Bell, published 1888, includes genealogical information (click here to read it in Google Books)
- Exeter, New Hampshire 1888 - 1988, by Nancy Merrill, published 1988
- We have genealogical materials on many Exeter families, please call or e-mail for specific queries
- Cemetery Records
- Birth, Marriage, and Death records can be obtained through the Exeter Town Clerk's office (call 603-778-0591 for more information)
Though the Historical Society is not a genealogical society, we strive to assist you in your genealogical research through our Exeter directories, maps, histories, genealogies, newspapers, cemetery records, school documentation and family files.